All permits must be purchased before entering the state. For vehicles that are not registered under IRP or IFTA, additional permits may be necessary before entering another jurisdiction. Vehicles exceeding limitations on the size and weight are required to obtain a permit.

Trip Permits

If your vehicle is not registered under IRP, you will need to obtain a trip permit before entering the jurisdiction. The trip permit is a temporary permit issued in place of IRP credentials.

Fuel Permits

If you don't possess an IFTA decal and license you will need to obtain a California temporary fuel permit. Carries must receive a temporary fuel permit before entering a jurisdiction.

Oversize and Overweight Permits

If a vehicle is over dimensional (oversize) or overweight, they must obtain a permit authorizing movement according to vehicle size and weight.